Thursday, July 24, 2008

Sometimes my body just doesn't want to work

I've put this post off for a while now - I was lacking humility, humility to ask for prayer. I've always been pretty self-sufficient, self-reliant (self, self, self etc.) when it comes to being sick. I've never approached it with the thought in mind that God is in just as much control over my physical being as my spiritual being. So I've been learning that I ought to be praying and submitting these fears and weaknesses to the Lord - AND become more humble to ask others to pray for me.

Let's go back to May 20th (finals week) - I'm figuring just from the wear & tear and stress of school I got incredibly sick. Ended up taking a nice visit to the doctor's - I was tested for mono but the results came back negative. Since the doctor's weren't sure what I had, they put me on a broad-spectrum antibiotic. Three weeks after this (and not getting any better at this point) I received an infection from the antibiotic. So from the end of may to the end of june there wasn't a whole lot of progress, and around June 25th I got hit with another "something". I lost my appetite again for another week and kept waking up with sharp pains in my stomach. Could it be an ulcer? The flu? Some fun GI (gastrointestinal) problem, my spleen? So, my mom picked me up so nice pro-biotics hoping to replenish all the good bacteria in my body that was swept clean when I was on the antibiotics.

I've been taking those for about 3 weeks now and haven't seen a huge improvement. I'm still waking up in the night with sharp pains in my stomach, i'm not eating that well, nor digesting things very well. I think i've put off the doctor's visit for long enough now. I have an appointment on Monday to see Dr. River's praying that he'll have an answer this time and that there will be quick recovery and healing.
It's rough getting up in the morning, takes me a good 5-6 hours to start feeling ok, and that's after i've popped some meds. It's come to the point, now that I've been feeling sick for 2 months, that my heart is easily discouraged. I'm worried that i'll be sick for the rest of the summer and into nursing school this fall.

BUT I know that my God is kind and good to me. And that if He is using this trial just to strengthen my love for Him, grow me in my faith, and to give Himself glory, then it is well within my soul.

Here's a couple ways you can be praying:
1) That my appointment would go well on Monday - i'll be sure to update everyone once I find out what the news is

2) That my heart would not grow weary

3) That I would not fear what's going to happen in the future regarding my health

4) That I would be quick to submit my fears and worries to the Lord

Thank you ALL who read my blog and pray for me!

2 comments:

Katie said...

I will pray, Brenna. Your Savior compassionately knows your needs...

andrea_jennine said...

Brenna, I'm just catching up on blogs a little bit after being away from the computer during our move. Just wanted to let you know that I am praying for you. Let us know the results of your appointment.