Sunday, May 4, 2008

Counting Confrontation as a BLESSING

I find it amazing how God knows every detail of my life. He knows my sin even before I realize it. He knows my desires, He knows my needs, He knows my temptations. I cannot hide anything from Him. I also find it amazing at how God used a wide variety of people this weekend, to help me realize where I am currently be tempted. Of all people God would use to reveal my sin, He chose one of my younger sisters this time. During the confrontation I was everything but humble. Receiving observations from anyone is never EASY, but it was especially hard hearing it from someone that was younger than me. I was determined to stand firm, but God's plan wasn't for me to remain stubborn and proud on the issue for very long. As a matter of fact, it only lasted 5 minutes while I shed a few tears and ironed my clothes for church the next morning. By God's grace he prompted me to head upstairs and thank my sister for her insightful observations that she had shared with me.

To continue this work in my heart, my pastor from church spoke from Hebrews 2:14-18 this morning. In light summary, the passage revolved around the fact that since "he became like us and suffering for us, He is to be fully relied on by us." He as in Jesus Christ. I am to rely on Jesus for death, judgement and for my temptations. In closing the passage, two questions were asked:

  1. What's the most common temptation for you right now?
  2. Are you going boldly to your high priest for help?"

And then it hit me that God knew exactly what He was doing this weekend. I began to weep not only because I felt foolish for being blind to my ongoing temptation, but also because I am so thankful for this undeserving love that God has choosen to let me receive. I never thought that I'd be able to count confrontation as a blessing.

As the service wrapped up, I began to pray that my pastor would feel prompted to have the care group leaders stay behind for a while and make themselves available for those in the congregation that needed prayer for certain temptations they were struggling with. And God did hear my prayers. (Thank you Andrea for praying with me). It's blows me away at how fast and readily God is to hear and answer our prayers, He wants to, but we as His children lack faith to come to him and we lack faith to expect that He will answer us.

Well, another week is over, I've learned yet another lesson, another thing about myself, and most importantly I've learned a lot about my Savior. Have a blessed week my dear friends!

2 comments:

andrea_jennine said...

It was a joy to pray with you, dear friend!

Katie said...

How kind of the Lord. Brenna, He's at work in you! What evidence of the Spirit's work that you were humbled and able to see where He's calling you to change.